Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Have you checked under your floorboards for water?
Posted by: Iain Muir
Date/Time: 06/03/14 21:20:00

I understand that the Brook is in a large drainpipe which more or less follows the historical path of the Brook on its way to the Thames. (see maps in previous threads) As it is enclosed, it should not flood. When ground water levels are exceptionally high water will appear under floors and in gardens. A previous house I lived in was close to one of the tributaries of Stamford Brook, also in a culvert. The rear garden was slightly 'sunken' and often flooded in winter during heavy rain. Major excavations close to a watercourse (as with the 'New' stand for BFC) could well displace existing groundwater enough to cause problems for adjoining properties and I understand that this happened. The work for the strip foundations for the new houses looks fairly minor in effect for groundwater so I suspect that any current 'water under the floor boards' is just part of normal pluvial activity for the area in times of prolonged and heavy rainfall. If anyone has done environmental searches recently for house purchase they will know that localised areas do show historic risk of pluvial (groundwater) flooding, not that I am aware of any taking place since the BFC stand was built. Something to be aware of though when the ground is redeveloped for housing.....

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Have you checked under your floorboards for water?12/02/14 18:27:00 Anthony Waller
   Re:Have you checked under your floorboards for water?25/02/14 08:53:00 Raymond Havelock
      Re:Re:Have you checked under your floorboards for water?25/02/14 10:32:00 Neil Chippendale
         Re:Re:Re:Have you checked under your floorboards for water?02/03/14 08:31:00 Reg Ghosh
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Have you checked under your floorboards for water?04/03/14 19:09:00 Anthony Waller
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Have you checked under your floorboards for water?05/03/14 01:04:00 Neil Chippendale
                  Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Have you checked under your floorboards for water?06/03/14 03:30:00 Jim Lawes
                     Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Have you checked under your floorboards for water?06/03/14 10:28:00 Tim Henderson
                        Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Have you checked under your floorboards for water?06/03/14 21:20:00 Iain Muir
                           Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Have you checked under your floorboards for water?07/03/14 00:14:00 Anthony Waller
                              Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Have you checked under your floorboards for water?07/03/14 00:33:00 Jim Lawes
                                 Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Have you checked under your floorboards for water?07/03/14 03:04:00 Neil Chippendale
                                    Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Have you checked under your floorboards for water?07/03/14 12:35:00 Jim Lawes
                                       Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Have you checked under your floorboards for water?07/03/14 13:31:00 Anthony Waller

Forum Home