Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Science and truth a thorn in the side of policy and vested intrest
Posted by: Mick Brent
Date/Time: 04/11/09 15:42:00

I think it is actually more about political cowardice. Legalisation and control of drugs would bring huge amounts of revenue into government in terms of taxes generated and would save millions upon millions spent on policing, unworkable prevention strategies, and the cost of the crime generated by drug addiction,so they are really cutting off their nose to spite their face. It would also mean that currently illegal drugs would be much less available to young people than they are currently. When I was a youth worker, it was a common complaint from under 16's that, whereas they had no problem getting hold of cannabis from a local dealer, they were unable to buy tobacco to smoke with it as shopkeepers would not sell it to them.
At the moment, although certain drugs are illegal, they might as well not be as their availability is widespread and completely uncontrolled. Legalisation would enable at least some level of control.
Like Adam, I do not hold any brief for illegal drugs and, unlike Philip, I believe that there are some serious dangers (both social and health) related to cannabis use. However, the current laws do not address these issues in any meaningful way and I believe that legalisation is the only way in which society might gain back some level of control over drug use, not by adults - drug use is their choice - but by vulnerable young people.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Science and trruth a thorn in the side of policy and vested intrest04/11/09 13:43:00 Philip Walsh
   Re:Science and truth a thorn in the side of policy and vested intrest04/11/09 13:46:00 Philip Walsh
      Re:Re:Science and truth a thorn in the side of policy and vested intrest04/11/09 15:42:00 Mick Brent
         Re:Re:Re:Science and truth a thorn in the side of policy and vested intrest04/11/09 17:43:00 Vanessa Smith
   Re:Science and trruth a thorn in the side of policy and vested intrest05/11/09 14:41:00 Philip Walsh

Forum Home