Forum Message

Topic: Ann Keen to present anti-BNP Petition to Jack Straw
Posted by: Manria Kaur
Date/Time: 13/10/09 14:32:00

Last week, in my capacity as Chair of the fledgling "Middlesex Anti Racist Action" (MARA), I emailed the borough's two MPs, to ask if they would sign our petition against Nick Griffin appearing on Question Time.  Yesterday, I met with Alan Keen at Parliament, who signed the petition and pledged his full support.  Just now I had a phone call from Alan to tell me that Ann has now spoken to Jack Straw about his intention to appear alongside Griffin, and she has agreed to present our petition to Jack, so he knows what the strength of feeling is.

The Petition wording is 'We, the undersigned, call on the BBC to rescind its invitation to BNP leader and holocaust denier Nick Griffin to appear on its Question Time programme on 22nd October.  We also call upon Jack Straw and the Labour Party to uphold their previous No Platform policy of refusing to debate publicly with fascists, so as not to give them the legitimacy they crave.'

Ann Keen is also going to raise the Griffin invite when she has a meeting with the BBC's Chair of Govenors, Michael Lyons, in a few days time.  It's very rare she ever goes against her own party on anything, but it seems Mrs Keen doesn't agree with the fact that the Labour Party has ended its policy of not sharing a platform with fascists.  I, like most people of Indian origin, look to the Labour Party to defend my interests, and am disappointed in the party on this issue.  We did email copies of our petition to some forum users, and we would be grateful if those who agree with it could send theirs back to us by Thursday, if possible.  Also, many thanks to Cllr John Connolly for supporting the petition.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Ann Keen to present anti-BNP Petition to Jack Straw13/10/09 14:32:00 Manria Kaur
   Re:Ann Keen to present anti-BNP Petition to Jack Straw13/10/09 14:56:00 Stephanie Kitsune
      Re:Re:Ann Keen to present anti-BNP Petition to Jack Straw13/10/09 22:27:00 Keith Iddon
   Re:Ann Keen to present anti-BNP Petition to Jack Straw13/10/09 14:57:00 Phil Andrews
      Re:Re:Ann Keen to present anti-BNP Petition to Jack Straw13/10/09 15:10:00 Stephanie Kitsune
      Re:Re:Ann Keen to present anti-BNP Petition to Jack Straw13/10/09 15:58:00 Tony Wood
         Re:Re:Re:Ann Keen to present anti-BNP Petition to Jack Straw13/10/09 17:02:00 Paul Fisher
   Re:Ann Keen to present anti-BNP Petition to Jack Straw13/10/09 17:35:00 Robert Ayres
      Re:Re:Ann Keen to present anti-BNP Petition to Jack Straw13/10/09 17:53:00 Tony Wood
      Re:Re:Ann Keen to present anti-BNP Petition to Jack Straw14/10/09 10:34:00 Manria Kaur
         Re:Re:Re:Ann Keen to present anti-BNP Petition to Jack Straw14/10/09 11:54:00 Phil Andrews
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Ann Keen to present anti-BNP Petition to Jack Straw14/10/09 16:41:00 Tony Wood
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Ann Keen to present anti-BNP Petition to Jack Straw14/10/09 17:26:00 Phil Andrews
         Re:Re:Re:Ann Keen to present anti-BNP Petition to Jack Straw14/10/09 17:51:00 Robert Ayres
   Re:Ann Keen to present anti-BNP Petition to Jack Straw14/10/09 19:30:00 Tony Stavides

Forum Home