Forum Message

Topic: Re:Update on Brentford's remodeling
Posted by: Guy Lambert
Date/Time: 21/01/19 16:35:00

Ok, I'll answer those questions as best I can.

Morrisons.
They (Morrisons) launched a judicial review of the planning decision and this was lost, in approx November. We have recently heard that they have appealed this judgment to (I guess) the appeal court. Not sure when it will be heard but probably not very quickly. Whether the developers (who for clarity bought the site from the previous private landlords, not the council) will then proceed, even if the appeal doesn't succeed, is unknown. The world will have changed in the meantime.

Brentford High Street
It seems nobody is interested in running a Post Office. They are advertising for a replacement operator:"The vacancy is currently being advertised on our website www.runapostoffice.co.uk" The remaining shops etc on the South of the High Street have been given notice to quit, I think by 31st March, though many are already vacating. Demolition of this central part and subsequently rebuilding is expected to start this spring.

Waterman's has I believe 6 years left on its existing lease. The proposal to move to the police station site has been 'called in' by the Secretary of State, government minister James Brokenshire. He will make up his mind when he feels like it, as I understand. This obviously also covers the existing Watermans/Max Factor site but also, separately, the site of the Citroen garage in Capital Interchange Way and the Chiswick Curve, outside B&Q

Historic England as well as Hounslow's Conservation Officer are closely engaged in the sites where demolition has commenced.

The story you have revealed about 'sizing up St Paul's Rec for development' is pure nonsense.

There is a clear plan for the town centre South of the High Street plus a local plan for Brentford in general. Consultation is about to restart on the plan for the 'Great West Corridor' - next event is at the Brentford Free Church this Thursday, 3pm to 8pm.

Just want to clarify that 'all the land sold off' in terms of council land is just parts of the shopping parade on the South of the High Street, plus (potentially) the current site of Watermans. Max Factor was owned by an Insurance company, the police station by the Met Police, Morrisons by a financial company. The council will end up with 92 (from memory) new council flats on Brentford High Street, a new arts centre and some more flats in the police station development if that goes ahead.  

Having said all that, I agree the flow of information about all this is inadequate. We are pressing Ballymore (in particular) to be much more communicative.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Update on Brentford's remodeling 21/01/19 15:50:00 Lisa Deegan
   Re:Update on Brentford's remodeling 21/01/19 16:35:00 Guy Lambert
      Re:Re:Update on Brentford's remodeling 21/01/19 17:04:00 Lisa Deegan
         Re:Re:Re:Update on Brentford's remodeling 21/01/19 17:35:00 Jennifer Selig
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Update on Brentford's remodeling 21/01/19 18:09:00 Guy Lambert
               Update on Brentford's remodeling 23/01/19 07:31:00 Jane Martin
      Re:Re:Update on Brentford's remodeling 21/01/19 22:28:00 Anne England
         Re:Re:Re:Update on Brentford's remodeling 23/01/19 12:23:00 Anne England
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Update on Brentford's remodeling 24/01/19 14:27:00 Guy Lambert
   Re:Update on Brentford's remodeling 26/01/19 16:42:00 David Sheriton
      Re:Re:Update on Brentford's remodeling 26/01/19 21:06:00 Guy Lambert
      Re:Re:Update on Brentford's remodeling 28/01/19 14:36:00 Guy Lambert

Forum Home