Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Service Charge - Ferry Quays
Posted by: Guy Lambert
Date/Time: 26/09/24 22:07:00

Yes, I have lived on FQ for over 10 years, and mostly I love it. It feels extremely secure, the air is very good because there are very few cars etc, and it is mainly very quiet and peaceful. Except when Heathrow use the North Runway (don't notice when the windows are closed) and currently a lot of noise because they are replacing the river wall on the Heidelberg site next door - that should be finished in a few weeks but is very bad now.
Yes, the service charges are expensive at present. Partly this is paying for services (cleaning, concierge, electricity etc in common areas, managing recycling and waste, gardening etc). Partly it is paying for long term replacements: in the last year or two we have new lifts, new entrance phones, new corridor carpets and lights, redecoration inside and parts of the outside. We have also had to improve fire security (mainly because the developers skimped 2o odd years ago when it was built). As far as I know there is nothing like that outstanding apart maybe to do with roofs. The expectation is that it will stay high for a couple of years but then reduce, obviously assuming no more horrors emerge. Part of the reason it is heavy now is because there was little set aside in the early years for expenses that are inevitable. I believe this happens in most estates (and separate houses. I remember when I had the shock of replacing the roof!)
The really bad thing is insurance: this is arranged by the freeholder ( a murky company based in Panama last time I looked). We have no say at all (everything else is controlled collectively by the leaseholders) in this, which is annoying and insurance in all blocks has gone up sharply since Grenfell. We suspect we are being overcharged.
A few years ago I was a director (all unpaid) but gave it up. Happy to talk to you about it as a resident and a councillor guy.lambert@hounslow.gov.uk

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Service Charge - Ferry Quays25/09/24 21:09:00 Andres Puentes
   Re:Service Charge - Ferry Quays26/09/24 17:17:00 Simon Wycombe
      Re:Re:Service Charge - Ferry Quays26/09/24 22:07:00 Guy Lambert
      Re:Re:Service Charge - Ferry Quays26/09/24 22:08:00 Guy Lambert
         Re:Re:Re:Service Charge - Ferry Quays27/09/24 00:32:00 Peter Evans
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Service Charge - Ferry Quays27/09/24 15:17:00 Simon Wycombe
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Service Charge - Ferry Quays28/09/24 16:17:00 Philippa Bond
                  Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Service Charge - Ferry Quays03/10/24 00:53:00 Peter Evans

Forum Home