Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Magpie and Crown
Posted by: Jim Storrar
Date/Time: 08/07/18 08:31:00

I haven't yet had the opportunity to have a look at the notice on the lamp post at The Magpie and Crown but I would guess that this is related to the outcome of the Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) Inquiry which was held in October 2017. The CPOs were confirmed earlier this year. These all relate to the redevelopment of the area south of the High Street (the Ballymore site).

The Magpie and Crown is one of the very few existing buildings that will not be redeveloped as part of the scheme (The Brewery Tap is another). Immediately to the west of the pub the distinctive frontage of what is now Cathja's (previously Motorwise and McIlroy's store) will be retained.

However the scheme as it stands at the moment will affect The Magpie and Crown. The pub will lose its exising access from Brent Way and the southern wall of the pub garden will be the wall of a large food store. It will also lose ownership of the area immediately to the north of the pub (the bit of wider pavement where there are tables outside) and this will be extended eastwards to form a larger open area in front of what is now Sami's Spice etc.

Evidence to the CPO inquiry by the tenant and by the owners of the pub raised a number of concerns. These included loss of light, restrictions on licensing hours, the need to make alternative arrangements for the delivery of beer and for waste removal, the loss of a dedicated parking space for the tenant, and disruption during the construction and redevelopment of the larger area.

On the plus side there will be lots of thirsty construction workers and, if and when the scheme is ever completed, there will be more local customers.

The Magpie and Crown is now up for sale and in the meantime I, for one, will make every effort to visit the pub as often as possible. I would encourage others to do likewise. The range and quality of their beers is the best for miles around. Staggeringly, during the past 15 years or so the pub has sold at least 2,500 different types of fermented goodness.

There has been a pub on this site since 1614, possibly earlier, when it was known as "The Pye". The current building was built in the early 1920s and The Magpie and Crown became "The Flying Swan" in Robert Rankin's Brentford Trilogy.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Magpie and Crown08/07/18 00:04:00 Christopher Gillie
   Re:Magpie and Crown08/07/18 07:08:00 Neil Chippendale
      Re:Re:Magpie and Crown08/07/18 08:31:00 Jim Storrar
         Re:Re:Re:Magpie and Crown17/09/18 22:23:00 David Rickmann
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Magpie and Crown17/09/18 22:27:00 David Rickmann
   Re:Magpie and Crown08/07/18 08:21:00 Tim Henderson
      Re:Re:Magpie and Crown08/07/18 08:28:00 Tim Henderson
         Re:Re:Re:Magpie and Crown08/07/18 23:17:00 jason akin
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Magpie and Crown10/07/18 10:19:00 Raymond Havelock
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Magpie and Crown15/07/18 19:18:00 Christopher Gillie

Forum Home