Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Spite or jealousy?
Posted by: Phil Andrews
Date/Time: 31/01/18 22:51:00

My understanding is that any health issues Lynn has now she also had in 2014, when Labour councillors defending their seats in Isleworth begged her to stand alongside them, to prevent the Independent Community Group (which I was with at the time) from winning them back.  They knew how popular she was in the local community.

That popularity was obvious to me as I canvassed for the ICG.  Voter after voter told me on the doorstep that this time, with regret, they couldn’t support the ICG because they were switching their votes to Lynn.

On the night over 100 more people had voted for Lynn than had supported either of her Labour running mates.  This despite the fact that she was the newcomer.  Ordinarily a new candidate would expect to to receive a substantially lower vote than colleagues who had been councillors for four years.  At least 100 people who were not Labour supporters had nevertheless given one of their votes to Lynn.

But even this wasn’t the whole story.  I know that when she spoke to voters Lynn strained every nerve to persuade her personal supporters to also vote for her two colleagues.  I met literally hundreds of voters on my travels who had switched all of their votes to Labour solely because of their respect and support for Lynn.

It would be pushing it to say that Labour wouldn’t have won in Isleworth without her, but it would have been far closer than it turned out to be.  Unfortunately the wide margin of Labour’s victory in the ward was always going to be her undoing.  I told her on the night of the count that they would dump her now that they no longer needed her, such was the nature of the people that she was dealing with, and it gives me no pleasure to have been prove right.

The statistic which doesn’t show up in the 2014 results is that of the great many voters who stuck with the ICG but would have supported Lynn had we not been standing.  All those votes will be up for grabs in May.  The Tories don’t seem to want them, Labour aren’t going to get them.  So what would you do if you were Lynn?

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Spite or jealousy?31/01/18 10:34:00 Vanessa Smith
   Re:Spite or jealousy?31/01/18 18:38:00 Robin Dickers
      Re:Re:Spite or jealousy?31/01/18 22:51:00 Phil Andrews
         Re:Re:Re:Spite or jealousy?01/02/18 14:00:00 Simon Anderson
         Re:Re:Re:Spite or jealousy?01/02/18 14:03:00 Simon Anderson
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Spite or jealousy?01/02/18 14:32:00 Phil Andrews
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Spite or jealousy?01/02/18 18:22:00 Jennifer Selig
                  Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Spite or jealousy?01/02/18 18:44:00 Phil Andrews
                     Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Spite or jealousy?01/02/18 21:08:00 Robin Dickers
                        Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Spite or jealousy?02/02/18 10:00:00 Vanessa Smith

Forum Home