Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Heathrow Trial - Changes in Operating Procedures
Posted by: Tim Henderson
Date/Time: 11/01/12 08:37:00

In my search to understand what are the triggers for the trial agreed to by the Minister, I have had a reply from the Department for Transport asking me to clarify my request. But the official does say :

"... there have been no changes to the triggers for the operational freedoms trial or in the circumstances in which the triggers are initiated since their publication on BAA's website, including where "anticipated arrival delay or departure delay is 10 minutes or more". The explanation provided for trigger 1 in BAA's document "Operational Freedoms trial - explaining runway operations procedures" simply provides examples of the circumstances in which delays exceeding 10 minutes might be anticipated. To explain in more detail, once the stacks are full, arrival demand cannot be met; if this situation is anticipated, then aircraft inbound to Heathrow regard the delay as a 'pre-departure delay' on the ground at the origination airport. They would only be able to depart once the flow rate can cope with current and anticipated arrival demand. The reduction in the threshold for the anticipated delay from 20 to 10 minutes before using both runways for arrivals during the trial is intended to lessen the extent and frequency of pre-departure delay."

Regarding the BAA meetings, Zac Goldsmith has put on his website the interesting responses from BAA to submitted questions which weren't dealt with on the night. The page is at

http://www.zacgoldsmith.com/default.asp?contentID=203

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Heathrow Trial - Changes in Operating Procedures19/12/11 14:04:00 Tim Henderson
   Re:Heathrow Trial - Changes in Operating Procedures11/01/12 01:14:00 Jim Lawes
      Re:Re:Heathrow Trial - Changes in Operating Procedures11/01/12 08:37:00 Tim Henderson
         Re:Re:Re:Heathrow Trial - Changes in Operating Procedures15/01/12 08:13:00 Nic Doczi
      Re:Re:Heathrow Trial - Changes in Operating Procedures12/01/12 12:18:00 Tim Henderson
   CAA Interim Report on Heathrow Trials22/02/12 09:05:00 Tim Henderson
      Re:CAA Interim Report on Heathrow Trials22/02/12 18:36:00 Dave Robertson
         Re:Re:CAA Interim Report on Heathrow Trials23/02/12 10:33:00 Tim Henderson

Forum Home