Forum Message

Topic: Cycling path non-use
Posted by: Christopher Gillie
Date/Time: 13/08/18 00:27:00

I remember, a few years ago, cycling down the great west road from Gillette corner to GSK and, entirely legally, using the main road instead of the cycle lane. The cycle lane is fragmented compared to the road, and involves a lot of junctions. I was on a road bike, training for the London to Brighton Bike ride, so did not want slow, stop start cycle paths, I wanted to get up to speed and try to maintain it for as long as I could. I quickly got to over 25mph was getting 30 mph+ downhill so, I thought, that was quite reasonable progess. I was then repeatedly bullied by motorists who honked their horns at me because I could not achieve the 40Mph limit. That was scary. Since then I have become a motorcyclist. It allows me the traffic efficiency of a pedal cyclist (and I never cease to be amazed that pedal cyclists keep up with me with my motor!). I guess my message is that people on 2 wheels are generally helping reduce congestion. People on 4 wheels (single occupancy) are not, so please, to all the 4 wheel people out there, don't make 2 wheelers so scared that they also want to use 4 wheels, otherwise your journey will be even slower?

Forum Home